Wednesday 23 October 2013

SPFL u20 League Accies 0 - Kilmarnock 1

The next under 20's league game came around quicker than expected with a rearranged game against Kilmarnock at New Douglas Park on Tuesday night. No European football for me on the telly instead the silky skills of the young Accies stars and their Kille counterparts.

Unfortunately I arrived too late to get a team sheet and the Accies twitter site is currently devoid of any information so I was flying blind when it comes to players details. This is a game that for large periods Accies dominated earning a series of corners and hitting the woodwork at least three times but somehow managed to lose 0 - 1 and in consequence of results elsewhere surrendered their lead in the Under 20 league.

Accies kicked off playing towards the Spice of Life stand and for the first 15 minutes or so this was a fairly equal game although Accies had a chance as early as 7 minutes when a cross from the right was well struck by Accies no 10 but hit the right hand post. Accies took a grip of the game and had a series of corner kicks none of which delivered an early goal. In the 30th minute another well struck Accies shot from outside the right hand side of the Kille box appeared to hit the crossbar. It was only in the closing minutes that Kille had their first real chance. From  a corner one of their players headed the ball down for an easy save by the Accies keeper. From the kick off the ball fell to Killie again and the keeper made another good save however the ball again fell to a Kille player who seemed to have an open goal in front of him. He appeared to think he had all the time in the world to score and fortunately the ball was cleared by Accies. So at half time, despite Accies having four corners to Killie's one and two hits off the woodwork,  the teams went in 0 - 0.

The second half was more of the same. On 53 minutes Accies got a corner but the Kille goalie got down well to palm the ball past the post for a second corner from which Accies struck the ball over the bar. In 59 minutes yet another corner for Accies saw a headed ball hit off the bar and over. Both teams made a substitution in 71 minutes and shortly afterwards Kille got the winning goal. A well struck volley by Killie's number 8 ended up in the top right hand corner of the Accies net. In 85 minutes  an Accies throw in was headed down in the box and the Accies players claimed it came off a Killie arm but the referee wasn't interested and apart from a late Killie corner the game was over.  Disappointingly, with Inverness winning 1 -0 against St Mirren, Accies are now sitting behind Inverness in the Under 20 league although with a  game in hand. Ominously Celtic, whose under 20 team were thrashing Ajax 4 - 1, are in third but with a game in hand on Accies and two on Inverness.

Sitting in the stand with Ronnie and Les was Allan Maitland. Will he end up at Airdrieonians? I suspect not but lets wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment